Depending on the individual child and their individual needs, the benefits of an assistance dog can differ.
From my experience of working with children with autism, I feel an autism assistance dog could help in the following ways:
1. Increases safety of child.
2. Dog responds to commands by parents.
3. The child will have greater level of independence.
4. Comfort for child in social situations.
5. Creates familiarity in unfamiliar settings.
6. May reduce child’s level of frustration and behavioural difficulties.
7. Parents anxiety in public settings can be reduced, knowing that their child is safe.